Baja California has a new Secretary of Education.
On Wednesday Miguel Ángel Mendoza took the oath in a ceremony held in Tijuana.
Mendoza succeeds Mario Herrera.
Governor Francisco Vega urged Sec. Mendoza to increase quality in education and prioritize the state’s relationship with the unions and teachers training.
Before becoming secretary Mendoza was dean of Tijuana’s Technology University.
Besides holding positions with the Mexican government the new secretary has been professor with private and public colleges in the state.
Men indicted for restaurant robbery
Three men were indicted for allegedly committing last week a robbery in a Chinese food restaurant, said the Attorney General’s office.
In a press release authorities said the suspects were identified as Sergio “Doe,” 31, Sergio Alejandro “Doe,” 35 and Carlos Octavio “Doe,” 32.
The agency said the suspects were indicted for the Feb. 18 robbery at Express Li’s restaurant located at Colonia Voluntad.
The suspects presumably arrived at the scene and brandished firearms against the employees.
The individuals left the scene with employee belongings and restaurant money.
After the robbery the suspects fled on a gray 2007 Ford Focus with California plates.
Police officers found the suspect vehicle at Colonia Zaragoza neighborhood by the Tijuana Highway in western Mexicali.
The suspects matched the characteristics provided by restaurant employees.
Police agents found inside the vehicle an imitation R-15 rifle, an imitation firearm and a knife.
The judge gave detectives two months to close the investigation and decided to leave the men behind bars for the remainder of trial.
Dead man found in canal
The body of a dead male was found Wednesday inside a canal in southern Mexicali, according to media reports.
The corpse was located at 8 a.m. in a canal at Fraccionamiento Villas del Rey subdivision.
Neighbors made a report regarding the body at the emergency dispatch center
After arrival police officers found the body wrapped in a brown blanket.
Firefighters assisted authorities to extract the body from the canal.
The unidentified man was between 25-30 years of age and had several wounds apparently caused by punches.
Authorities will practice an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
Couple arrested for robbery
A man and a woman were arrested Wednesday after allegedly robbing a gas business in southeastern Mexicali, said the Municipal Public Safety Department.
Authorities said police officers arrested Viviana “Doe” and José Guadalupe “Doe,” both 23.
The suspects found the couple while driving a green 1998 Honda wagon that matched the vehicle in which two individuals fled after the Fraccionamiento Valle de Puebla neighborhood Gas Silza robbery.
After stopping the man tried to flee on foot with a firearm and the woman attempted to escape with a backpack.
The firearm was determined to be a .22-caliber revolver loaded with four cartridges.
The backpack had inside documents robbed from the gas business.
The suspects were transported to a police substation.


