30.9 C
Mexicali
martes, 19 mayo 2026
Más
    InicioGeneralLawmaker defends traditional marriage

    Lawmaker defends traditional marriage

    A Mexican Senator introduced Tuesday a resolution that seeks to unfreeze a series of bills that, if enacted, would set marriage exclusively for a man and a woman.

    Sen. Víctor Hermosillo, a Mexicali member of the National Action Party, said the bills have been frozen in legislative commissions since last year.

    With the measures lawmakers would reform Mexico’s Constitution to make it compatible with human right treaties signed for by the government to declare family as the natural and fundamental element of society, establish marriage between a man and a woman as the founding of families and protect the rights of parents to decide over their children education.

    The proposal was delivered to senators along with 200,000 voter signatures on Feb. 2016 and turned to legislative commissions two months later.

    The bills had not advanced in commissions since, Sen. Hermosillo said.

    The conservative lawmaker said 113 similar bills have been introduced since 2012, of which 90 are still pending, 13 were turned down, eight were voted against and only one was sent to a commission.

    Man arrested after armed assault, homicides

    A man was arrested Tuesday by dozens of police officers and military personnel after allegedly killing two individuals and causing injuries to another one, according to media reports.

    The individual was preliminarily just identified with the nickname of “El Gordo.”

    Around noon a shooting was reported at Ramiro tire shop, located at Colonia Carranza neighborhood.

    A victim identified as Ramiro Martínez was initially transported to a health clinic, but succumbed to the injuries.

    Another shooting was reported in a business named “El Cazador,” located at San Felipe Highway and Héctor Terán Boulevard.

    An employee was reported dead on the scene.

    Previously, two robberies presumably connected to the murders were reported at the emergency dispatching center.

    A gray Honda vehicle allegedly involved in the crimes was observed by police officers.

    Police agents chased the suspect who was stopped at Calzada Industrial Robledo Avenue.

    Dozens of patrol cars blocked the street in order to stop the suspect.

    The man was transported to the Eastern police commanding center, where federal police officers and military staff are protecting the facilities.

    State unable to help newcomers

    Baja California Governor Francisco Vega said Monday the state is unable to provide services to deported immigrants from the United States and to those who arrive from other countries.

    During a meeting held in Tecate with journalists, Gov. Vega said the Mexican government must increase its support and address the issue.

    He said the issue is more significant now given the U.S. immigration policies changed and include an increased deportation of Mexican.

    As the shelters installed in the state are already full, the coordination with the Mexican government turns more significant to attend those immigrants in need, he said.

    Baja California must be taken as an example due to its immigration complexity and create public policies that provide solutions that in the upcoming future can be applied in other states under the same conditions, he said.

    Last year, the state spent 35 million pesos or $1.75 million to attend Haitian and African immigrants who arrived to Baja California.

    Of the 262 million pesos from the Immigrant Fund the Mexican government has only 7 million are for Baja California’s shelters.

    Gov. Vega said the delivery of such funds must be more equal and an additional Immigration Fund has to be created.

    Former cop apprehended

    A former state police officer was arrested Monday under charges of illegal disappearance, said the Attorney General’s office. 

    According to media reports the agency identified the suspect as Mariela “Doe,” who was apprehended in eastern Mexicali.

    The ex-state trooper was allegedly involved in the April 2011 case of Francisco Valderrama Sánchez, 30, who has been missing since from his Ejido Guadalupe Victoria rural town residence, reported La Crónica newspaper.

    The former officer was involved in the punching of Valderrama and a minor.

    The adult was wrapped in a blanket and taken away from his residence. Family members and authorities have no knowledge regarding Valderrama’s whereabouts.

    119930045 3218221308291861 3858016033099377007 n
    + posts

    NOTICIAS RECIENTES