A Mexican lawmaker demanded federal agencies to report on the status of the Constellation Brands beer plant planned for southern Mexicali.
Congresswoman Nancy Sánchez, a Mexicali member of the Institutional Revolutionary Party, requested Mexico’s National Water Commission and secretary of Environment and Natural Resources their opinions regarding the project.
The proposal was approved Thursday by Mexican lawmakers.
“Mexicali residents truly fear the final destination water might have in moments of scarcity,” she said. “There is real anxiety for the survival of the fertile Mexicali Valley.”
After standing for progress, development, foreign investment and job creation, Sánchez said the $26.3 million aqueduct planned by the state should be spent in irrigation systems for local agriculture.
The lawmaker demanded the state for more transparency, order, clarity and honesty in the beer plant project.
Visitor profile reported
Two out of every five people who visited Mexicali last year were from the United States and the rest arrived from other Mexican states, according to a report released by the state Secretary of Tourism.
According to the report foreign tourists came from California, Arizona and Nevada.
“In general terms the study about the profile of tourists shows us a very positive evaluation in the state,” said Undersecretary of Tourism Ives Lelevier. “Now that we are presenting the evaluation for every destination we will have the opportunity to focus the efforts made by the department and the image and marketing committees from every municipality towards more specific goals based on the observations and habits of those who have visited the state.”
The report says 42 percent of visitors arrived on a bus, 39 percent in their own vehicles and 19 percent in airplanes.
Lelevier said 24 percent of tourists arrived at Mexicali for business reasons, 19 percent for shopping and other 19 percent for medical purposes, 14 percent for night entertainment, 9 percent for food and 5 percent for sports.
Of those visitors, 56.7 percent stayed in a hotel, 23 percent stayed at a relative or friend residence and 5.3 percent in motels.
Over 95 percent of those tourists considered service, food, rooms and transportation of good quality, whole 95.2 percent had a positive perception regarding safety and 79.1 percent said touristic attractions are of good quality.
The report was based on polls made by a consultant from Nov. 2015 to Oct. 2016 and applied to 450 people on a quarterly basis in areas like bus depots, airports and tourist zones.
Man indicted for sexual abuse
A 52-year-old man was indicted Thursday for charges of sexual abuse against his 6-year-old granddaughter, said the Attorney General’s office.
The agency said a state judge indicted Víctor Manuel “Doe,” who must remain behind bars for the remainder of trial and gave detectives two months to close the investigation.
The suspect is accused of the Feb. 28 sexual abuse case reported in a residence located at Presa La Villita Avenue at Colonia Nuevo Milenio neighborhood.
Authorities said the victim’s grandmother reported she left the girl in a room in order to clean the house, returning moments later but unable to find her granddaughter.
The woman found the suspect inside an outdoor restroom while touching the semi-naked girl’s parts.
The grandmother called the police to report the incident, authorities said.
The suspect attempted to flee on foot but was arrested blocks ahead by local police officers.
Minor arrested for robbery
A teenager was arrested Wednesday after allegedly committing a robbery along with two other people against a minor, said the Municipal Public Safety Department.
Authorities said police officers arrested José “Doe,” 14, moments after the incident was reported.
The police said at 3:10 p.m. a 16-year-old boy told officers three suspects punched him to rob a watch and a sweatshirt in a park located at Río Congo Avenue and Boca del Río Street at Fraccionamiento Del Río neighborhood.
Police officers found and arrested the suspect blocks away based on the characteristics provided by the victim.
The suspect was transported to the police headquarters.
Armed man arrested in downtown
A 27-year-old man was arrested Wednesday night blocks away from the Calexico West Port of Entry in possession of a knife and an imitation firearm, said the Municipal Public Safety Department.
Authorities said police officers arrested at 9:20 p.m. an individual identified as Sergio Manuel “Doe,” 27 at Madero Avenue and Morelos Street.
Police agents found the suspect while looking at a parked vehicle.
The man had allegedly a knife and a black imitation firearm, as well as an active arrest warrant for an undisclosed federal offense.
The man was transported to the police headquarters.


