30.9 C
Mexicali
martes, 19 mayo 2026
Más
    InicioGeneralMan arrested for homicide of state top official

    Man arrested for homicide of state top official

    A man who allegedly killed a top state employee that was found deceased in November was arrested Saturday, said the Attorney General’s office. 

    In a press release, authorities said José Antonio “Doe” was arrested for the murder of assistant director of Issstecali Jesús Manuel Ponce Rico, who was found dead inside of his Fraccionamiento Los Pinos subdivision. 

    The suspect was arrested while attempting to cross to the United States through the San Ysidro Port of Entry. 

    Authorities said the suspect and an accomplice conspired to rob the victim in order to take money from two saves owned by Ponce Rico. 

    The agency reported the suspect and the victim went Nov. 15 to a baseball game.

    After the game both went to the victims’ apartment on a burgundy ford escape owned by the deceased man.

    The suspect left the apartment at 11:17 p.m. and left the door half-opened.

    The suspect’s accomplices entered the site and hit the victim with a baseball bat.

    The suspects left the scene with several items.

    The suspect was booked in Mexicali Jail.

    Party leaders criticize protests

    Leaders of the National Action Party criticized the behavior of members of the Mexicali Resiste movement whom Thursday night acted violently against city councilmen.

    State Chair José Luis Ovando said although the party recognizes freedom of speech of every citizen he rejects violence and aggressions towards authorities.

    He said protestors yelled bad words to councilmen and even threw bottles and coins during the vote that provided tax breaks for property owners.

    “We reject the movement attitude as even though they have the right to protest they must show respect authorities, institutions and Mexicali residents,” Ovando said. “It is not fair and is even less fair to cheat on people and lie.”

    Ovando said it is time to put an end to this attitude and allow institutions work.

    Mexicali Chair Javier Alberto Gutiérrez said the violent act has gone beyond all limits of tolerance.

    Offenses and insults are not covered by the constitution, he said.

    Gutierrez said council members de respect as people and democratic representatives.

    He called abusing people’s right to attend city council meetings by interrupting with screams and bad words a threat to institutions and democracy.

    Gutiérrez asked protestors to conduct properly, residents to support the city and councilmen to impose the rule of law and prohibit actions like Thursday’s.

    Program announced for fishermen insufficient

    The Mexican government announced recently a program to compensate Sea of Cortez fishermen impacted by the fishing ban imposed by Mexico.

    However, the measure is not enough, a Mexican lawmaker said.

    “The fishermen compensation is a great step, but it is not the ideal (way) given what fishermen want is to go out to fish and not to ask government for its support,” said Congresswoman Nancy Sánchez. “We must dare to think in new options.”

    The lawmaker introduced Wednesday a resolution demanding a program to financially compensate fishermen from Sonora and Baja California. 

    The day after National Fishing Commission Director Mario Aguilar announced the program along with Mexico’s departments of agriculture and environment.

    Fishermen from the Gulf of Santa Clara, Sonora protested last week for the impact they have had due to the ban.

    Sánchez said the protests were caused by the two year fishing prohibition.

    Sánchez said tensions arose between legally registered fishermen who were not allowed to fish and illegal ones who went out to the sea to capture totoaba, a species highly valued in Asia.

    119930045 3218221308291861 3858016033099377007 n
    + posts

    NOTICIAS RECIENTES