Unknown persons hung a couple of banners in two different sites in this city in which they criticized municipal and state police officers for protecting organized crime groups.
One of the blankets was located at 6:13 a.m. in López Mateos Boulevard and Independencia Avenue in Mexicali’s Civic Center.
According to the message, an organized crime group, “with the help of the municipal police and the state prosecutor’s office” carried out executions.
“Do not blame innocent people who have nothing to do with it (…) and the government that supports them, that is the truth,” the message adds.
Staff with the State Attorney General’s Office removed the blankets.
According to various media reports, another message appeared on one of the bridges on the Tijuana Highway.
This is the second time in a week that this type of message has appeared in the city.
City’s top cop tests positive to the Coronavirus
Mexicali Police Department said Tuesday morning Chief Joel Dueñez has tested positive to the Coronavirus of 2019.
In a brief message, the police just reported the results.
On Monday, Chief Duéñez held meetings with a group of lawyers and with members of the Industrial Chamber.
The chief was photographed without a face mask during those meetings as portrayed by police photos shared in social media.
The chief is the first city official that tested positive in the administration of Mayor Norma Bustamante that started last month. However, several cases had been detected at City Hall.
Migrants try to get vaccinated
Dozens of immigrants tried to get vaccinated during an event held by state and Mexican authorities, with some of them finally being immunized against the Coronavirus.
Covina Posada del Migrante shelter manager Altagracia Tamayo told reporters about 90 immigrants who live in the shelter lined up since 4 a.m. Monday at the Plaza La Cachanilla shopping center to get the vaccine.
The immigrants attended the clinic after a late call from the authorities to admit those coming from other countries.
According to Tamayo, some tried to take immigrants out from the line and forced them to take the final spots. It was not revealed who tried to take immigrants out.
The activist said six immigrants who live in the shelter had tested positive for SARS-COV-2. Tamayo said she’s interested in vaccinating most of the immigrants in order to prevent the spread of the virus.
Vaccinated immigrants were first forced to file a separate application additional to the registration form.
Man who robbed vehicle with child inside sentenced
A man who robbed back in February a pickup truck where a child was left by his parents was sentenced to a dozen years in prison, the state Attorney General’s office said.
According to the authorities Hector Gonzalez was also forced to pay a fine. He was also denied probation by the judge.
The agency said on February 13 the victims arrived at a business named Cossio on a white Ford F-150.
The vehicle was left in the parking lot with a child inside.
Gonzalez then took the vehicle and fled from the scene along with the kid.
However, the individual crashed the vehicle and attempted to flee on foot, but was arrested by the police.
Mayor appoints new animal Control director
After veterinarian concerns regarding the appointment of an activist as Director of the Animal Control Center Mexicali Mayor decided to nominate another director.
The new director, Rafael Minero Jáuregui, replaces Juliana Ortega, who leads nonprofit Patitas Callejeras that helps rescue pets from streets.
The new director was tasked with working with nonprofit organizations and other stakeholders to continue with the agency’s programs to vaccinate and sterilize pets.
Ortega was appointed as Supervisor of Adoption.
During now former Mayor Guadalupe Mora administration several concerns were raised by city council members and other stakeholders about the sale of dogs caught by the center staff.
On Monday, veterinarians held a demonstration outside City Hall to criticize the appointment of Ortega that was considered inappropriate as the official is not a college graduate expert in the area.
Couple accused of homicide attempt arrested
A couple that was sought for weeks for the attempted murder of a man was arrested by state police officers, the state Attorney General’s office said.
According to the agency the suspects were identified as Jorge Jose and Angelica.
The authorities said on Sept. 19 the accused man and the victim were fighting in a residence located in Colorin Avenue in Fraccionamiento Huertas del Colorado neighborhood.
Suddenly the suspect woman brandished a firearm and shot at the victim, who had an injury in the left side of the abdomen.
The suspects were booked in Mexicali prison.
Man accused of sexual abuse sentenced
A man who was accused as perpetrator of a July 2019 sexual abuse case was sentenced by a state judge to a decade in prison, the state Attorney General’s office said.
According to the agency Saul Zamorano Sotelo reached an agreement with prosecutors through which he admitted committing the crime.
The authorities said the victim is a 9-year-old girl.


