Two men were arrested early Tuesday while driving on a vehicle that was previously reported stolen, said the Municipal Public Safety Department.
Authorities said at 3:33 a.m. police officers stopped a 1997 green Ford Aspire at Santo Tomás Street and Cocorit Street at Colonia Misión San Diego neighborhood.
The vehicle was driven by John “Doe,” 21, who was accompanied by Mario “Doe,” 32.
The driver and the passenger showed a nervous behavior while being interviewed by the police officers.
Police agents asked the driver registration documents of the vehicle, which he was unable to provide.
After asking for details about the vehicle at the emergency center police officers determined it was reported stolen.
The suspects were transported to the police headquarters.
Hundreds of arrest warrants executed
Last month, state police officers executed 218 arrest warrants related of different types of crimes, an official said.
Assistant Attorney General in Mexicali Fernando Ramírez said Ministerial, state Preventive and Municipal police officers arrested 218 suspects on June.
The suspects were required by justice for crimes like drug possession, robbery, burglary, fraud and child support violations.
Of the suspects arrested, only 14 were from Ciudad Morelos and 18 from Guadalupe Victoria jurisdictions in Mexicali Valley.
Criminal gang member arrested
A man who is allegedly involved in the death of the three people was arrested by state police officers, said the Attorney General´s office.
In a press release, authorities said police agents arrested Teófilo Cristóbal Beltrán Gaxiola, aka “El Flaco” on Saturday.
The state agency said the suspect was allegedly involved in the death of Ricardo Fernández Gómez and Emmanuel Fernández Arámbula, both 19, and Jorge Guillermo Mata Pérez, 31.
The victims were found buried on Dec. 6, 2008 by the Airport Highway in eastern Mexicali.
Detectives found that members of the criminal band led by “G1” thought the teenagers were state police agents or related to drug smuggling activities, so the gang leader order their death.
The victims arrived Dec. 3, 2008, at “El Faro” restaurant, where Víctor Javier Serrano Galván, aka “G1”, was accompanied by Beltrán Gaxiola and other members of the band.
The teenagers were assassinated even though before their death the gang members found out the victims had nothing to do with police or drug smuggling.
Along with the teenager´s bodies police agents found the corpse of Jorge Giullermo Mata Pérez, whom allegedly was a bodyguard for the band.
Beltrán Gaxiola had an arrest warrant for homicide released by the Sixth Penal Judge and was booked in Mexicali Jail.
Heat-related fatality reported
One Mexicali resident has died due to heat-related illnesses I 2016, said Secretary of Health Francisco Vera.
The official said as of June 30 the state´s Epidemiology Department has reported 12 cases of residents impacted by the heat wave, of which five are related to heat stroke.
However, he said, overall the case number represents a decrease compared to last year.
In 2015, the state had 54 heat-related cases and 12 fatalities.
Last year the state`s public health agencies attended 38,244 patients for heat-related diarrhea and during 2016 the state has reported 34,694 cases.
Vera asked residents to avoid heat exposure from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., drink water abundantly, wash hands before and after eating, cooking or going to the restroom, avoid consumption of food on the street, eat fish and seafood thoroughly cooked, dress light-colored clothes, use hat or umbrella, cover windows, use sun block and wash fruits and vegetables.
Fourth of July visiting reported
Over 300,000 tourists visited Baja California during the long Fourth of July weekend, a state official said.
State Undersecretary of Tourism Ives Lelevier said visitors spent 350 million pesos or $19.6 million.
Hotel occupancy average rate was 90 percent statewide and 100 percent on Saturday at touristic destinations.
“These numbers show a good positioning for tourist destinations in the state,” Lelevier said. “We observe several reasons (for the visiting increase) like good weather, event offering and trust by many visitors.”
He said at least 87,000 visitors stayed in a hotel, based on hotel owners reports.
Lelevier added over 259,000 vehicles used state and federal roads during the weekend and no major incidents were reported.
The agency expected 284,000 visitors for the weekend.
Lelevier said on Friday that the state expected 100 percent hotel occupancy rates at Rosarito and Ensenada, 93 percent in San Felipe and 77 percent in Tecate, Tijuana and Mexicali.
Electricity rate increase announced
Mexico’s Federal Electricity Commission, or CFE in Spanish, announced Monday an increase of between 2 and 5 percent of industrial energy rates beginning in July.
For trade businesses the rate increase fluctuates between 5 and 7 percent, and residential rates jumps 6.8 percent.
However, the Mexican agency said low-consumption residential rates, that have been increasing 4 percent each year since 2006, will observe no augmentation. In Jan. 2015 the residential low-consumption rates observed a decreased of 2 percent compared to Dec. 2014 and an additional decrease of 2 percent on Jan. 2016.
The agency said industrial rates have seen no increase for the last 18 months.
CFE said 98 percent of Mexican homes pay low-consumption rates.
The agency said the increase was caused by fuel increases reported last month that jumped up to 18 percent.
Electricity prices in Mexico are authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury.
CFE said in a press release the agency seeks to change its energy plants to natural gas and hydroelectric energy.
According to Mexicali media outlets, the announcement caused controversy among business leaders and activists.


