Two alleged immigrant kidnappers were arrested by state police officers, said the Attorney General’s office
Authorities said the suspects were allegedly involved in the kidnapping of three Mexican immigrants for whom they were asking $8,000 each for their release.
The suspects were identified as Daniel “Doe,” 31, and Jonathan “Doe”, 27.
Authorities said the suspects were also presumably involved in the kidnapping of two Brazilian immigrants who were released Sunday and are under custody of the National Immigration Institute.
The suspects were arrested at the Civic Center area, the agency reported.
According to authorities the suspects were hired by the victims to cross them illegally to the United States but instead were kept captive at a residence located at Castellote Avenue at Fraccionamiento Finca Los Jazmines subdivision.
During three days the immigrants were kept tied by the hands and feet. The suspects also allegedly punched the victims and threatened t o kill them if they attempted to flee.
Victims’ relatives were called by the suspects to demand $8,000 for their release.
The agency added that the suspects threatened to kill the victims if no payment was made.
One of the victims tried to escape May 31 but was found by one of the suspects.
The suspect presumably attacked the immigrant with a knife but the victim punched the suspect.
The three immigrants were able to flee, the agency reported.
Officials deny discrimination
State officials said public health facilities are opened to anyone who needs medical services regardless of their immigrant status.
Mexicali’s General Hospital director Caleb Cienfuegos said the Haitian immigrant whose case was made public in social media is under control.
According to the posting the immigrant was allegedly denied service at the hospital although his severe dehydration.
Cienfuegos said the immigrant has not needed hospitalization but has received the appropriate treatment.
Migrant Attention director Gustavo Magallanes said the state has supported shelters although the Mexican government has not transferred 20 million pesos in funds previously approved for sheltering services.
Magallanes denied any cases of discrimination at public Health facilities towards Haitian immigrants.
Magallanes said around 900 Haitian immigrants have Mexican health insurance through their employers after being hired.
He added high temperatures are impacting Haitian immigrants as they are not accustomed to Mexicali’s summer weather.
City opens temporary shelter
The City of Mexicali opened Sunday its temporary shelter and since then has provided services to 33 people, most of them homeless men.
Department of Family Development director Laura Elena Corral said the shelter offers medical services, food, water, showers and a site to rest.
Residents can report any person who might need assistance by dialing 9-1-1.
Police officers and firefighters can pick these residents and transport them to the shelter, Corral said.
The shelter opens 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Emergency Management director René Salvador Rosado asked residents to avoid exposing directly to the sun, drink water, use light colored clothes, and have special care of children and elderly due to the expected high temperatures.


