29.3 C
Mexicali
martes, 19 mayo 2026
Más
    InicioFronteraPerception of insecurity declines

    Perception of insecurity declines

    The perception of insecurity declined in Mexicali in the last quarter of 2022, a National Institute of Statistics and Geography survey says

    Despite the fact that perception of insecurity in Mexicali fell between September and December, the index remains high.

    The National Survey of Urban Public Security (ENSU) of the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (INEGI) says the percentage of Mexicali residents who feel unsafe in the state’s capital city dropped from 72.6 percent in September 2022 to 69.2 percent last month.

    Mexicali is above Tijuana, which registers a percentage of 66.1 percent.

    The city is located at levels similar to those registered in cities such as Iztacalco and Milpa Alta, in Mexico City; Guanajuato, Guanajuato; Reynosa, Tamaulipas and Monterrey, Nuevo Leon.

    According to survey results the percentage is similar to the 69.5 percent recorded by the survey in December 2021.

    At the national level, Mexicans feel more insecure in ATMs, public transportation, banks, streets, highways, markets, and parks.

    The survey indicates that 39.0 percent of Mexicali respondents over the age of 18 experienced conflicts or confrontations with other people last December. The percentage was 47.8 percent in the third quarter of 2022.

    Those clashes took place nationwide, mainly with neighbors and strangers on the street, followed by authorities and family members.

    Noise, garbage, parking, pets, gossip, or misunderstandings were the main causes of these confrontations.

    The survey says 38.1 percent of Mexicali residents trust the effectiveness of the local government to solve public safety issues.

    According to the report 49.0 percent of Mexicali people had contact with public security authorities and experienced some act of corruption.

    At the same time, 28.1 percent of Mexicali homes were victims of robbery or extortion, the survey shows.

    Suspect arraigned, indicted for girl abduction

    A man who allegedly drove a teenager from Mexicali to the state of Nayarit was arraigned over the weekend.

    According to media outlet reports, the indictment hearing was scheduled for Tuesday morning.

    Prosecutors requested the indictment hearing be held privately for the minor’s protection.

    However, the judge decided to keep reporters outside the courtroom when the minor’s information is released in the indictment hearing.

    Francisco Antonio “N,” 27, was arrested last week in Nayarit, where the suspect allegedly drove Mitzi Xiomara “N,” 14.

    The pair has been remotely dating for about a year.

    The teenager was reported missing on Jan. 9. Relatives even held a demonstration to demand authorities find the girl safe.

    The minor and the suspect were found on Jan. 17.

    Man indicted for femicide

    A 70-year-old man was indicted Sunday by a state judge for the homicide of a woman.

    La Voz newspaper reported that the judge indicted Honorio «N,» for his alleged involvement in the murder of Daryela Valdez Rocha.

    If convicted, the suspect could spend at least the next 35 years in prison.

    The judge decided to keep the suspect in prison during the trial and gave prosecutors six months to close the investigation.

    The victim was assassinated on Jan. 15 with a knife.

    Neighbors reportedly heard the victim screaming on the day of the femicide.

    Surveillance cameras showed the suspect leaving his home full of blood stains and holding an object in his hand.

    The suspect allegedly threw the knife to the roof of the next home.

    According to the report, the suspect then asked his neighbors to call the police.

    The suspect first told the police the victim’s ex-boyfriend arrived at the scene and assaulted the woman.

    However, the judge took into consideration the witnesses’ testimony and the two previous complaints of domestic violence filed by the victim.

    The victim’s brother told the court having seen Daryela with injuries.

    Also, during the hearing, the judge heard about a May 2022 incident in which the suspect allegedly pushed the victim down the stairs.

    In the hearing, the authorities reported two individuals allegedly arrived at the victim’s workplace and shot twice to the floor.

    The individuals allegedly threatened the victim after the woman broke with the suspect.

    Minor dead in home fire, father detained

    A boy died early Wednesday during a fire that consumed the minor’s home in the Fraccionamiento Condesa area.

    According to media reports, the incident was first reported to the authorities at 3 a.m.

    The reports say the boy’s father left the minor alone in order to connect to the adult’s smartphone in another home.

    Reports say the residence had no power and the home was lit by candles.

    The minor’s father, who was identified as Jonathan, transported the boy to a Red Cross clinic where the boy was declared dead.

    Police agents arrested the father for failing to care for a minor and was turned to the state Attorney General’s office for potential prosecution.

    The minor had first-, second-, and third-degree burnings.

    Suspect indicted for sexual assault

    A man was indicted by a state judge under charges of sexual assault of a minor, the state Attorney General’s office said.

    The judge indicted Rogelio, no age reported, for the updated incident that occurred at the Fraccionamiento Caminos del Sur area.

    According to the agency, the suspect was taking care of the minor when the incident happened.

    Prosecutors requested testing of the minor to corroborate the sexual assault case.

    The hearing took place on Jan. 20.

    The judge decided to keep the suspect in prison during trial and gave prosecutors two months to close the investigation.

    Fire kills 2-year-old girl

    A girl died Wednesday afternoon when her home got engulfed in flames hours after a boy passed away during a fire.

    The girl died after inhaling smoke, the victim’s mother said.

    Authorities said the incident was reported to the police at 2 p.m. in a residence located at the Fraccionamiento Lagos del Sol area in Southern Mexicali.

    The victim was identified as Sofia Daniela, 2.

    According to the authorities the mother smoke was seen coming from the girl’s bedroom.

    The woman was unable to immediately open the locked door.

    Neighbors helped the mother to extract the minor from the bedroom.

    The girl was transported by Mexicali Fire Department paramedics but succumbed to the injuries while en route to the General Hospital.

    Two fire engines arrived at the scene to extinguish the fire.

    Woman dead in Mexican hospital after Caesarean

    A Mexicali woman died in a Mexican public hospital recently after delivering her baby.

    The Mexican Institute of Social Security, or IMSS in Spanish, said the patient, who was identified as Rubí, 22, died of post-partum complications.

    The agency’s hospitals have been in the public eye after a few mothers reportedly died in IMSS facilities.

    This time, the federal agency assured relatives were told about the patient’s condition at all times.

    The 22-year-old mother died Monday of brain death in Hospital 30.

    La Voz newspaper reported the body was received at 2:00 p.m. Tuesday by the state Coroner’s Office.

    The Coroner’s Office said the patient died of brain parenchymal hemorrhage, acute lung edema, cerebral edema, and pregnancy toxemic illness.

    The IMSS said Rubí had a caesarian on Jan. 8 at Hospital 31 due to birth complications.

    According to the Mexican agency, no other complications were reported after the delivery. The patient was released.

    However, on Jan. 16 the patient was admitted once again with headaches and other undisclosed symptoms.

    The mother had convulsions and neurological impairment that led doctors to turn the patient to Hospital 30.

    Several studies showed brain hemorrhage, the Mexican agency said.

    The patient later had a brain death.

    “In every moment family members were fully notified,” the IMSS said.

    Domestic violence cases increase by 85 percent

    Reported domestic violence cases increased little over 85 percent from 2015 through 2022, the state Citizen’s Council of Public Safety of Baja California said.

    Based on the state Attorney General’s office reports, the council said seven years ago 2,695 cases were reported to the authorities. The figure constantly increased to reach 4,807 cases last year.

    In 2022, May was the month with the most reports with 486 cases.

    In some instances, victims of domestic violence have lost their lives although aggressors have been denounced by the Attorney General’s Office.

    Since 2021, the state is under gender alert and authorities have not addressed 39 activities included in the warning.

    Sexual abuse cases increase as well

    Sexual abuse cases increased by 32 percent last year compared to 2021.

    Records from the State Department of Citizens’ Safety show the cases climbed from 1,297 in 2021 to 1,680 last year.

    The records show July and August reported the largest number of cases reported in 2021. Last year, May and June recorded the largest figure.

    The Center of Economic Studies of Baja California said based in the report that at least five women were victims of sexual abuse every day in average — the highest in the last eight years.

    In the meantime, domestic violence increased 5.5 percent statewide from 12,568 cases to 13,262.

    “Insecurity increased to worrying levels,” the Center said.

    According to the Center, violence and crime has led to a stagnant economic growth in the last two decades combined with low wages and the world’s recession.

    From its part, the National Institute of Statistics and Geography has reported a decline of Baja California’s gross domestic product.

    The economic impact leads as well to the closing of businesses due to the lack of economic development strategies, the center said.

    Last week, the Employer Confederation of Mexicali called the authorities to change its public safety strategy to address crime, that in most cases has recorded an increase in the last year.

    The Center said foreign investment has also seen an impact due to crime.

    Last year, the state recorded the highest number of closed companies since 2008.

    The center said crime has been a cause to small businesses and the exodus of almost $520 million investment in the last three quarters.


    Te puede interesar: Mexicali residents’ insecurity perception increases

    e4a7e94842675130e29db5ec188ae0b4
    + posts

    NOTICIAS RECIENTES